We’re delighted to announce we’ll be presenting a fantastic day of dance as part of Birmingham Festival 23. The full programme of events for the 10-day festival which takes place from Friday 28 July to Sunday 6 August in Centenary Square has just been announced.
Celebrating Birmingham, Poet Laureates Casey Bailey and Iona Mandal have been commissioned by FABRIC to accompany and respond to Birmingham’s diverse dance community throughout the day. Warm up with Sense Arts Moving Portraits and inclusive dance workshop and film, (11am) offers calming movement and sound for all bodies.
Perry is joined by special guests:
- LYNNEBEC with their infectious and energetic disco-inspired routines (12 noon).
- What the Eye Sees by Linden Youth, a weekly training programme for young people aged 11 to 21 years, specialising in contemporary and Afro-Fusion movement styles, alongside supporting positive physical and mental wellbeing, exploring the impact that visual perception or cultural stereotypes can have in the struggle of fighting against the tide of mass judgement. (1.10pm)
- Bollywood Spectacular with Aspire Dance (made In Birmingham) – Experience the captivating realm of Bollywood with dazzling costumes and lively Bollywood music (1.20pm).
- The Twelve by Future Shift and FABRIC Centre for Advanced Training sees 12 dancers unite for a celebratory performance showcasing individuality and the power of togetherness. (1.45pm).
- UNBOXED by Linden Dance Company is an explosive outdoor duet in which the dancers set themselves in opposition to two giant wooden cubes in a physical representation of their battle with prejudice and judgement (2pm).
- Autin Dance Theatre uses their unique blend of contemporary storytelling, striking physicality and innovative large designs to transport audiences and communities along a carefully choreographed procession Parade – The Giant Wheel (2.20pm).
- Hip Hop theatre company O’Driscoll Collective (made in Birmingham) brings live music and a multigenerational all-male cast in a raw, authentic breakin’ and hip hop performance that showcases the power of movement (2.45pm).
- Where All Paths Lead by 2FacedDance – Six male dancers and a live drummer embrace the powerful possibilities of different journeys as they navigate their way across a series of pathways. (3.10pm)
- You’re Out of This World by LYNNEBEC – with their infectious energy and special space disco dance routine, the Astro Groovers train up eager recruits to help them in their quest to discover the greatest party of all time! (3.40pm)
- Power Hour – ReTwist Jam dance battle – A dance battle with a twist. 4 invited guests & 4 open spots. Our battlers will spin the ReTwist wheel to pick the music they will battle to (4 – 5pm).
- Premiere of Big Gay Disco Bike by FATT Projects – (4.15pm) with cabaret superstar and vocal powerhouse, Fatt Butcher, because anywhere can be a dance floor!
- SOLARA by ZoieLogic Dance Theatre co-created with inclusive and integrated company Critical Mass Dance Collective – Feel the power of connection, community, and dancing together. (5pm)
- The Big FATT Dance Party by FATT Projects – performed by a larger-than-life team of the UK’s leading drag, cabaret and nightlife entertainers, voguers and dancers – audiences will be guided through a range of accessible interactive dance moments including disco line-dancing, square dances, and soul trains. (5.45pm).