Outdoor Dance Showcase 2022
The Outdoor Dance Showcase is an exciting programme designed to celebrate UK-based dance artists that bring life and joy to outdoor places. Hosted both online and in Birmingham from Wednesday 22 to Saturday 25 June 2022 as part of Birmingham International Dance Festival (BIDF) 2022.
BIDF, the largest dance festival in the UK, returned in 2022 to present the very best of international dance and inspiring choreography from 17 June to 3 July. Birmingham’s signature festival has the city’s citizens firmly at its heart, celebrating diversity and togetherness.
Shaped and delivered by XTRAX and FABRIC as part of BIDF 2022, the Outdoor Dance Showcase presented an exciting programme celebrating UK-based dance artists who bring life and joy to outdoor places. It provided a platform for national and international promoters to connect and build meaningful relationships with a curated selection of outdoor dance artists looking to tour their work beyond borders.
Live performances, pitching sessions, informal networking opportunities and panel discussions – the Outdoor Dance Showcase creates spaces to foster fruitful international collaboration.
– The artistic programme for the Outdoor Dance Showcase weekend included 20+ companies, with six UK 2022 premieres, and a rich programme of both UK and international shows from Canada, Spain, France and Belgium
– A hybrid professional programme including pitching sessions, panel discussions and networking opportunities, both in-person and online using the interactive Swapcard** platform
– An opportunity to meet international presenters, industry professionals and exciting artists
– Time to rebuild connections as well as make new contacts and expand your networks, in the context of a flagship event for dance in the public space
Amongst others, the showcase included the following shows:
– Black Victorians by Jeanefer Jean Charles
– BONDED by Alleyne Dance
– Born to Protest by Joseph Toonga / Just Us Dance Theatre
– CROWD_CTRL by AndroidX + Megahertz
– Blame Game by Kundle Cru, presented by Crying Out Loud
– Dandyism by Patrick Ziza Dance
– DEVA by Pagrav Dance Company
– Look Mum, No Hands! By Daryl Beeton Productions and Mimbre Acrobatics
– How To Build A Universe by Extended Play
– The Album:skool edition by SAY
– Timeless by Joli Vyann
Wednesday 22 June – online on Swapcard**
– Meet and greet
– Pitching sessions presenting exciting ten new outdoor dance works from England
– Panel discussion inspiring delegates to consider alternative models of dance creation for the public space
Thursday 23 June – in person, Birmingham
– Opening shows in Ventenary Square as part of BIDF
– Welcome drinks
– 5.30pm onwards – Outdoor Programme in Birmingham city centre
– Optional – 7.30pm: On Your Marks by Birmingham Royal Ballet, Birmingham Hippodrome
Friday 24 June – in person, Birmingham
– Welcome and networking morning coffee
– Roundtable – “The role of dance in building back a sense of place and human connection after the pandemic”
– Networking lunch
– 2pm till 9pm: Live artistic programme across public and outdoor spaces in Birmingham city centre
– Optional – 7.30pm On Your Marks by Birmingham Royal Ballet, Birmingham Hippodrome
– Evening drinks
– 8pm: Ghost by Tentacle Tribe (CA), Birmingham Hippodrome
Saturday 25 June – in person, Birmingham
– 12pm onwards: Live artistic programme across several venues in Birmingham city centre
– Informal networking
– Optional – 2.30pm and 7.30pm: On Your Marks by Birmingham Royal Ballet, Birmingham Hippodrome
**Swapcard is an enhanced online event platform that offers a wealth of opportunities for attendees and presenters to connect with each other and access useful resources.
Shaped and delivered by XTRAX and FABRIC, the Outdoor Dance Showcase is presented as part of BIDF 2022 and is supported by Arts Council England.
Landscape image of Black Victorians by Jeanefer Jean Charles at BIDF 2021. Image by Paul Stringer.