‘Don’t Play with L(Kn)ives’ is an original hip-hop screendance based on true stories of knife crime in the UK. Bringing together some of the UK’s finest hip-hop dancers, spoken word and original music composition, delivering a poignant message to young people of awareness, prevention and hope.
Film Content warning: parental guidance advised
Running Time: 14 minutes 58 seconds
Cookies are Disabled
MarketingTo adjust your preferences
- January 2023 – Denton Black Film Festival, Texas. USA.
- November 2022 – British Urban Film Festival, London, UK.
- November 2022 – Aesthetica Film Festival, York, UK.
- October 2022 – Fifth Wall Fest, PHILIPPINES.
- October 2022 – Exeter Dance International Film Festival, Exeter, UK.
- June 2022 – Cinedans — Dance on Screen Festival, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- May 2022 – Flatpack Festival, Birmingham, UK.
- April 2021 – Birmingham International Dance Festival, Birmingham, UK.
- Honourable Mention for Best Music/Soundtrack at Exeter Dance International Film Festival 2022.
Brooke Milliner is best known as the choreographer and lead dancer of Plague, winner of two Hip Hop International World Championship titles; and as Co-Director of Fiya House – the UK’s leading Popping collective. His new film ‘Don’t Play with L(Kn)ives’ is an original Hip Hop Screendance piece that explores knife crime in the UK. Bringing together some of the UK’s finest Hip Hop dancers, a live violinist & a spoken word artist. ‘Don’t Play with L(Kn)ives’ shines a light on this taboo aspect of British culture – sharing untold stories to deliver a poignant message to young people.
Brooke Milliner said:
“I’m very grateful and excited to be working on this project with DanceXchange and Motion Dance Collective, to see my vision come to life. I feel the message of the piece is very important and reflects what’s happening unseen in our communities. It’s a great opportunity to shed some light on this area and hopefully leave a lasting impact on those who watch it.”
- Directed & Edited by Omari ‘Motion’ Carter
- Concept and Choreography Brooke Milliner
- Cinematography & Colour Grade by James Williams
- Assistant Director: Anna Clifford
- Commissioned and Executive Produced by DanceXchange (FABRIC)
- Produced by Motion Dance Collective
- Producers: Anna Clifford, Matthew Critchfield & Sandra Figueiredo
- DanceXchange Producers: Lucie Mirkova, Rosie Clements & Emily Labhart
- Dancers: Toby Jackman, Chris Arias & Aaron ‘Shintastic’ Duncan.
- Spoken Word Poetry by Casey Bailey
- Violinist: Helena Logah
- Music by Brooke Milliner & Aaron ‘Shintastic’ Duncan
- Assistant Choreography by Robia Brown
- Choreographic Consultancy by Dickson Mbi
- 1st Assistant Camera: James Haslam
- 2nd Assistant Camera: James Dann
- Sound Recordist and Sound Design by Arthur Turner
- Makeup Artist: Chloe Bayliss
- Production Runner: Genavieve Decaria
- Production Marshall: Natalie Thompson